Thursday, February 16, 2006

Genisis

…actually a word from the Bible, used to describe the end of the world, but that’s how I feel like today when it comes to my research project.
In Germany we’ ll have to do research and write a thesis/ dissertation in order to get the title "dr. med./ doctor".

As Medical student u have heaps and heaps of exams of little subjects and sub-specialties which are annoying. Nonetheless most of us start to do a research project besides the studies. Mostly ‘cause everybody keeps on telling you: “Later, while working, you don’t have more time then u
have now…”.
Well, where is the time I am supposed to have now?!?!

So, many students start their dissertation as soon as possible. And even though you are warned by all your colleagues, most of us will slide into a kind of nightmare that is repeating and repeating in every generation of med. students.

First you make up your mind what you want:

a) You wanna find something where you don’t have to invest so much time? Something that might be finished soon? You can try to find a project where clinical studies or the lab work is done, so u just have heaps of heaps of data and try to extract something gorgeous for the
well-being and the benefit of all people on our glorious planet
*pathetic melodies plays in the background and a rainbow starts to grow from one corner of the screen to the other*

Well, it could work… You have data, you do some literature research and three months later *tata* you finished your 60 pages and your abstract will be published in an important American scientific journal.
But often u find huge gaps and lacks in documentation and frustrated you have to run and try to re-collect data from different archives, wards, by approaching the patients (if they are still alive), … in the end it takes way way wayyyy longer than expected and maybe in the end you don’t have any valid results at all… And you start again.

b) You either don’t find a promising project that meets the description under a) or you are an heroic and adventurous stud - maybe even willing to go into research or keen on an academic career later. So you approach a Prof., apply and host a project: You collect data for the dissertation yourself, assist in a clinical study, do lots of Southern Blots, FISH and PCR in a lab ... and lots of stuff like a secretary- I cannot count all the times I copied Medical histories of patients or blood counts, how many leaflets I printed and folded and how much time I spent doing posters for my Professors’ congresses...

Well, when I applied to participate in the project where I have been doing my dissertation I was told the clinical trial and collecting data is about 6 months. Since everybody says to add 50 -100% of time to what the Prof. Tells you I was pretty cool with that view. I calculated about
10 months- that would have meant I had been finished with that first part in July 2004 – Okay, since we know reality is not a fairy tale and no prince comes around to save you, I faced my destiny and started, not giving up, beared all retrogressions. My dissertation is about
“Reduction of Side Effects in Breast Cancer Patients” and I thought the topic is a very interesting one - everything expanded and in December 2005 I finally finished the data collection... 22 months (!) after I startedFor the coming months I have not intended to do much for the study since my preparations for my exams take more that enough of my time my
exams. I also have a college co-working on that project and there is a doctor that is only paid to assist us thereThe studies are financed by a private foundation. They set up some deadlines we have to be aware. I was asked to help a bit again, since one of the deadlines is coming closer and they are running out of time - I got there this morning and neglected my ENT book.

But what did I found ? A paper with tasks. Tasks that I asked them to take care about in December!!! In several emails where no-one has ever replied to me I pointed out some issues that have to be worked on and that take time. I was soooooooooooo pissed, especially (of course) none of them was there today and I was left all by myself.

We shall see what happens next, I have to go back to the Clinic on Tuesday in order to finish my unfinished tasks from today.........

1 Comments:

Blogger Rian said...

I don't have a Bible here, but I think "Genesis" means "The Beginning", hence it's the first book and describes how God created the world--if I remember correctly.
Anyway, great Blog, I like it very much. And good luck for your dissertation!

11 March, 2006 11:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home